"The pump in Labastide-d'Armagnac", ©1999 watercolor, 8.25"
x 12" inches
The pump in Labastide-d'Armagnac has
probably been here since th
1800's. It probably was used for watering the
horses. "Bastide" means a fortified village.
The village is in a rather remote region of
southwestern France and only locals are allowed to drive into the
square. Rather few non-French tourist venture into this
area. Armagnac region is noted for a very fine liqueur sold
under the region name of Armagnac. It is different from
traditional brandy for the more complex distilling process.